On the eve of the new decade, we all anticipate the promise and potential of a new year. If you’re a fan of the messaging service Telegram, you also have a new update to look forward to. The latest v5.13 release includes support for gradient/pattern themes, message scheduling that targets a contact’s online status, easier access to the Night Mode toggle, some new animations, and plenty of other improvements.
Telegram is definitely increasing in popularity in recent days, especially with many root/ROM projects switching to the platform for releases. It’s also pretty convenient for those that migrate between phones frequently (like we tech blaggers) since it doesn’t lock you to a specific device like WhatsApp does.
So far, it seems this update isn’t big enough to merit one of Telegram’s blog posts — usually filled with the company’s stylistically recognizable illustrations — but it isn’t exactly “small,” either:
New in version 5.13:
• Create themes with color gradients and patterns.
• Schedule messages to be sent when your recipient comes online.
• Choose venues more easily when sharing your location.
• Switch to Night Mode and back directly from the left menu.
• Get dark maps in Night Mode.
• Choose video quality in a more intuitive way when sending videos.
• Try dragging down in user profiles or jumping between messages in a chat to see new animations.
• Discover 31 other bug fixes and improvements.
Left: New Night Mode toggle in the top right of the navigation menu. Right: Schedule messages now lets you target when a person comes online (via 3-dot menu behind the visible option).
Among the headlining changes in this version is a tweak to the scheduled messages feature that rolled out earlier this year. The new enhancement allows you to schedule messages to arrive when they come online rather than just a set time. Support for color gradients and patterns will also come in handy for those that build themes for themselves or others, and a handful of interface improvements like a better video quality chooser and a left menu Night Mode toggle should also improve usability. When in Night Mode, in-app maps will also get a dark look, and choosing a precise location when sharing location should also be a bit easier.